Thursday, January 3, 2013

2013 -- Fly Fishing Resolutions

Happy New Year!  I'm expecting great things in 2013.  Early last year when I started this blog I didn't anticipate the lack of fishing I would get to do in 2012.  I fished less last year than any of the past 5 years.  I'll be honest that it was frustrating at times, but that's what life throws at us sometimes.  Other priorities (family, work, etc), will always come first.  I hope to be able to find more time on the water this year and also explore new things in connection to fly fishing.  In 2011, I did a fair amount of small mouth fishing and it was great.  Last year, I was only able to manage 2 small mouth trips.  2011 was a great year for me and produced some great fishing memories.


I would like to share a few of my Fly Fishing Resolutions for 2013. 

1.) Get my family more involved on the River.  My oldest son will be turning 5 this Summer and starts Kindergarten in the Fall.  He's been on a couple fishing trips and has had a blast.  I've got a goal for him to catch a trout this year by himself.  I think he's up to it!  :)


Here is a picture of Andrew and his first trip ever to the Clinch River back in April of 2012.  We mostly played in the water and threw rocks, but he had fun and it is a memory I'll have forever. 

2.)  Obviously - More time on the water.  Doesn't really matter where, but I would like to explore the Smoky Mountains more and learn to become a better small stream fisherman.  I'd also like to get a few trips on the South Holston and Davidson River this year.  I've fished both of these rivers over the past few years and they are terrific.  Both have their quirks and totally different styles, but both can reward you with a great catch.


3.) Tie Flies! and learn new patterns.

3 comments:

  1. Your resolutions for this 2013 is very much inspiring. Pretty sure your son will inherit those qualities of yours in terms of fly fishing. Eventually, South Holston is one of the great place to go for tennessee fly fishing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Makayla! Yes, I love the south holston. I didn't get to fish it last year, but will definitely try this year. Many consider it to be the best in the south east.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fly fishing is a great activity for your son, as we know that children at that age need to be shown how to do things for it may influence them as they grow older. And I can say that engaging him in such a recreational activity would help his wellbeing. Anyways, learning new tie flying patterns would be good, but let’s not forget the vital role of a good quality hook.

    Bernita Sloan

    ReplyDelete